[Mailman] Re: [ILUG-BOM] Confusion... Internet Speeds.

Sthitaprajna sp.jena@irisindia.net
Sat May 17 08:41:35 IST 2003

Hrushikesh Tilak wrote:

> I guess (please correct) a 56 KBPs modem allows a maximum inflow(&outflow!)
> of 56 KiloBits ps of data between 2 computers.

Please get the terminology right....refer to the unti system for details of
howto correctly denote units..half uyour problems would be solved. Max data
transfer rate is 56kilobits, or 56kbps....or 56/8kBps or 7kBps. There is a
large difference between writing a cap "B" or a small "b", one for byte and
the other for bit.

> But still most(or all?) ISPs in Mumbai offer download speeds(the thing that
> u see in the browser downloader or a download manager) is only 5KBPs.

Display depends how your "download manager" or "browser" is configured. the
5kBps you are talking about probably is equivalent to 40kBps

> So when we here about Broadband Internet of 1MBPs or 128 KBPs...what are the
> actual download speeds?

That 's how much you buy....1mbps=128kBps, i guess you get hte drift.

> Why dont all the people refer to actual download speeds rather than the max
> transfer speeds while referring to their connection?

What do you mean by "actual download speed"? If you pay for something, you are
supposed to get that sort of throughput. If you don't there are other reasons,
bad server-client connectivity, throtting by your b/w provider, etc.

rgds
--
sp