[Mailman] Re: [ILUG-BOM] RedHat Linux 9 >> Free or not?

Sthitaprajna sp.jena@irisindia.net
Sat May 17 08:46:45 IST 2003

Hrushikesh Tilak wrote:
> I just want to know whether RH Linux 9 is free or not?

Free enough for download and use.

> Also why do the ISO's on the FTP sites start with shrike?

shrike happens to the name of the RHL 9.0 release.

> Should I download the 3 ISO's or should I stick with my present OS (
> PCQLinux 8.0)?
> Is the new linux worth downloading(3 iso images...1.72 GB...about 17
> hours!!!)?

PCQ is based on Redhat, so that does'nt make Redhat any less "free" that PCQ
Linux. Whether you choose to use RH9 or stick to PCQ 8 is entirely your own
decision. Check out the features at the Redhat website, or check the list of
packages.  Why and what you are using your Linux based system for would drive
whether you want to upgrade.  and if you decide to upgrade, please do not take
the decision to download them over a dial-up, or slow 64-128kbps connection.
Yuo can get it much faster from one of the listers by just asking htem to cut
a set for you.

Rgds