[Mailman] Re: [ILUG-BOM] Confusion... Internet Speeds.

Nikhil Joshi nikhil_joshi@gmx.net
Sat May 17 07:44:45 IST 2003

On Tue, 13 May 2003, Hrushikesh Tilak wrote:

> I guess (please correct) a 56 KBPs modem allows a maximum inflow(&outflow!)
> of 56 KiloBits ps of data between 2 computers.
> But still most(or all?) ISPs in Mumbai offer download speeds(the thing that
> u see in the browser downloader or a download manager) is only 5KBPs.

Remember Download Managers give speeds in Kilobytes/sec

56 Kbps = 56 Kilobits/sec.
8 bits  = 1 byte
==> 56Kbps = 7 KBps

I do get 7 KBps using VSNL , sometimes though .

Anyways 56Kbps is the max. transfer rate. The modem must be working
something below that. Hence the difference.

> Why dont all the people refer to actual download speeds rather than the max
> transfer speeds while referring to their connection?

Its difference between bits and bytes as you can see.
In communication lingo Kilobits/sec is used while we are more comfortable
with Kilobytes in our normal computer usage.

--
Nikhil