[Mailman] Re: [ILUG-BOM] Confusion... Internet Speeds.

Pranav Joshi merciless_messiah@yahoo.com
Fri May 16 15:39:37 IST 2003

--- Hrushikesh Tilak <hg_tilak@msn.com> wrote:

> I guess (please correct) a 56 KBPs modem allows a
> maximum inflow(&outflow!)
> of 56 KiloBits ps of data between 2 computers.
> But still most(or all?) ISPs in Mumbai offer
> download speeds(the thing that
> u see in the browser downloader or a download
> manager) is only 5KBPs.

There is a difference between the small b (bit) and
the big (Byte)... it's always small in Kbps.. coz
transfer speeds are measured in bits bytes are ususlly
associated with data storage for eg. (files on hdd,
cdrom are measured in bytes/kilobytes and so on)

> So when we here about Broadband Internet of 1MBPs or
> 128 KBPs...what are the
> actual download speeds?

8 bits = 1 Byte tht's why if you translate 1 Mbps line
into bits it would be 1024 Kbps.. download managers
usually do the bit to Byte conversion automatically
for the user... now if you are converting a 1024
kilobit connection to a "KiloByte" connection it will
become 1024/8, which essentially translates to 128
KBps (notice the big "B") ur getting

> Why dont all the people refer to actual download
> speeds rather than the max
> transfer speeds while referring to their connection?

Download Speeds are always in Kbps not in KBps.. it's
the download managers at fault not the ISP's

Happy Pondering
Pranav

=====
I think I will go home now and feed my wife's bird.....
to my cat