[Fsf-web] Logo

Khuzaima A. Lakdawala klak@giasbm01.vsnl.net.in
23 Mar 2002 14:06:51 +0530

On Sat, 23 Mar 2002 12:06:44 +0530, Vinay Pawar <zoyd@gmx.net> wrote:

> I don't understand the importance of having a seperate
> FSF-I logo. But if it's absolutely necessary I suggest the
> text 'FSF India' or 'India' below the official GNU/FSF logo,
> i.e. GNU's head. Preferably in a simple Helvetica like font.

This is indeed the best logo suggestion to date :)

Vinay, if you had stepped in earlier you would have saved us all a lot
of bandwidth and cpu-cycles :)

BTW, this logo discussion didn't arise in a vacuum. We were simply
trying to follow up on what was resolved in a FSF-I WG meeting in
January, whose minutes stated:

    It was also felt that the site could do with a new design that,
    while incorporating elements of www.gnu.org , could reflect an
    Indian identity. This would include designing a new and, again,
    distinctly Indian, logo for FSF India...

And it never occurred to anybody on the list that just mentioning "FSF
India" below a GNU Head would make it "distinctly Indian" :)

I assure you that we were not doing this "just for amusement" as
alleged by you :)

The whole idea of discussing the design of the logo and indeed also
the website on an open list is to ascertain everybody's views and
objections. Since you feel so strongly against going in for an
"exotic" logo, let us shelve it.

A Gnu head with the text "FSF India" at the bottom would make a
perfectly fine logo indeed.

Regards,
Khuzaima