[Fsf-web] Logo

Vinay Pawar zoyd@gmx.net
Sat, 23 Mar 2002 12:06:44 +0530

I don't understand the importance of having a seperate
FSF-I logo. But if it's absolutely necessary I suggest the
text 'FSF India' or 'India' below the official GNU/FSF logo,
i.e. GNU's head. Preferably in a simple Helvetica like font.
I personally don't like the idea of playing with a nice logo
just for amusment. We know that the GNU head is the GNU project's
logo, but someone new to GNU/FSF would be confused looking at
FSF-I's exotic peacock/flag/map/ashok chakra combination wondering
if the peacock is GNU's logo.
The GNU project is a global one, imagine FSF-I, FSF-China, FSF-Europe,
FSF-France, etc cooking their own logo's. Not useful and doesn't
serve any purpose. Let's not confuse people.

I'm working on brochure sized paper cards with a brief description of
what is free software. Such cards would be useful for notice boards
where people might not be interested in reading the entire definition
of free software.
I think the creative heads on this list could design things that
can be distributed at user group meetings where the free software
philosophy is not discussed everytime.
Thanks,
Vinay Pawar,
Pune.