[Fsf-web] The website .....why Zope ?

Nagarjuna G. nagarjun@hbcse.tifr.res.in
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 21:06:29 +0530 (IST)

On Fri, 22 Mar 2002, Gopal.V wrote:

->Hi E'body,
->	I'm just curious about why Zope is being used in the FSF India
->website work.
->
->	I personally think the use of Apache/PHP with Postgres would be far
->better in the results -- especially with heavy loads on the server.

On the server we do have apache, zope and also php installed.  I
tried using phpnuke for the lug site of mumbai on the same
machine, but was not happy because for every small thing it needs
mysql, where the data is stored.  the machine presently is simple
pentium, so it was running very slow.

Zope's squishdot was chosen because, it serves the purpose, it
does things very simply with very little overhead on the PC.  It
also has the search facility.  For a magazine kind of stuff this
is quite OK, I thought.  Besides it is time tested and pretty
stable.  GNOME site for example runs on squishdot
http://news.gnome.org/.  Squishdot is catalogue aware, and
creates an index as and when new topics are added.  Well there is
another reason!  I develop products in Zope, and I program only
in Python.  Zope is highly extendable, and doesn't depend on
external services, unless you really wish to use RDBMS.

->	The design and look of a webpage are as important as the content
->it holds. That's why I offered to help the design team.

In zope, the logic is completely separated from design.
squishdot can be applied in any design you like.  You send
me a design and I will incarporate the logic and show you how
simple it is to change the design without loss of functionality.
It is based on object oriented database, and is modular.  Things
can be changed without breaking the enitire site.

->	Also I think Arun might be able to get a copy of what I would call
->phpGnuke from the FreeDevelopers.net -- Phpnuke with the gifs removed.
->I have a floating GNU + Fsf India that could easily become a "Freedom
->Matters" logo.
->
->	I had the stuff all configured (almost all...) on my box, way
->back in January. I'm attaching a screenshot.

Where is the screen shot?

BTW, I am totally open to PHP.

I would say, let us use pure html for static content, and
Python/PHP for dynamic content.  We can try different web
applications and try out different things.

Nagarjuna