[Fsf-web] FSF-India website (some ideas)

Vinay Pawar zoyd@gmx.net
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 14:54:16 +0000

Kanti Jadia wrote:
> Thanks vinay.
>
> The PLUG site looks amazing.
>
> Even with "links",its fabulous.
> Lynx works too.
>
> Great
>
> Can you please give details about how you came about this design.
>
> regards
>
> Kanti

Thanks for the comments.
It's design is mostly done, the content not yet.
It can be followed here:
http://nodegroup.com/vinay/wiki/awki.cgi/DevelPlugWebsite

It's tough to explain how I came about this design, but
I'll try. I observed some things with the earlier design:
http://www.plug.org.in/index.old.php

It didn't get to the point quickly, not concise. The boxes
to the right are not easy to read, the wider the width for
any paragraph the cleaner it is to read. Narrow columns
are good for non-sentenced content, like menus, photos, etc.
The three coloured spaced boxes gave the content a very
dettached feel. There is a little ambiguity in the menu too,
"Join" and "Mailing List" could easily be on the same page.
"Upcoming" and "News" are both chronological in nature, so
they could be clubbed. The "minutes" menu item is not
descriptive enough.
Although the above might sound like a justification of the
new design .. *grin* .. But honestly, those were the things
in the earlier design that needed to be changed. If you
look closely this new design has just the right things on
the first page in just the right space for the 800x600
resolution without any clutter. It also leaves us enough
space below the "Joining" paragraph to put further content
like photos from the recent meetings. The puneri pagadi
wearing tux adds that much needed touch of coolness.
However the tux is also the reason I couldn't experiment
more with colours.

I wonder if that explains how I came about this design.

--
Vinay Pawar
http://nodegroup.com/vinay/