[Fsf-web] the website and logo issue

Vinay Pawar zoyd@gmx.net
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 14:01:14 +0530

 Hi,

   http://zoyd.tomk32.de/gnu/index.html
   http://zoyd.tomk32.de/gnu/boilerplate.html

Two things would help to make a website to look and feel
Indian.
   a) text
   b) images
The GNU project's philosophy has been content instead of looks.
To achieve this, both text and images should functionally or
non-functionally be a part of the content.
Text could be made Indian by greeting a visitor with a
'Namaskaar' followed by a standard 'Welcome to the Free ....',
projects could have Indian names, like Naba Kumar's Anjuta
and Raju Mathur's VishwaKarma.
Images should be used as sparingly as possible. I don't think
we want to make another one of those Indian portals having
images all over for no reason.
Some pages could contain random images of places/festivals
around the country with a small description of the image.
These images would be contributed by hackers from their own
city/state. Thereby encouraging involvement. Such images would
be put only in pages that are the most viewed instead of all
the pages.

It would be boring to have (fsf|gnu).org.in to be running
phpnuke/slash/squish/zope and the likes.
I volunteer to built the (fsf|gnu).org.in website, both
backend and frontend.
Could someone in the Board or close to it please maintain
a offsite list of the tasks at hand and the volunteers working
at it.

My views on the FSF-I logo and logos in general.
Logos are for easy identification of an entity.
A Logo is similar to a brand. It needs time for people to
associate a logo with an entity. The artwork of a logo must
be such that it can be presented in all kinds of media.
The most tricky and expensive is the print media. There are
very different rules for offset multicolor, digital, screen,
block printing, etc. The logo should not loose it's correctness
and preferrably also it's effectiveness. There should not be
a dependency on color. The GNU head as it is works well for
most cases.
The GNU head will almost never be used alone.
It will be accompanied with the name
'Free Software Foundation of India', on letter heads,
visiting cards, brochures, flyers, etc.
The Linux penguin doesn't have 'Linux' and 'http://www.linux.org'
as a part of it's logo, nor do most logos. It was just a matter
of time that people associated the penguin with 'Linux'.
Making the name of the organisation a part of the logo artwork
is not necessary. The name in a small font size serves no purpose
when the name will appear again somewhere around it.
We have a handsome and well known logo. The more we use it as it
is the better it's for us.
Clarity, correctness and simplicity should be the mantra.
Think about it.

Thanks,
Vinay Pawar,
Pune.