[Fsf-web] Volunteer for Free software directory

Khuzaima A. Lakdawala klak@giasbm01.vsnl.net.in
23 Mar 2002 10:19:35 +0530

> The categories as of now are :
> Applications
> Libraries

I am sorry, I have been *completely* mistaken about the purpose of
this directory. I thought we were building a directory of free
software *businesses and services* in India.

IMHO, building a list of free software tools and utilities written by
Indian authors should not be a priority for FSF-I.

When Ranjit proposed the directory saying that it would be based on
Frederick's list, I thought he would be extracting the businesses and
authors' information from that list and create entries of those
businesses.

A list of utilities and tools may be of value to geeks, programmers
and technically adept people but is of almost no use to lay end-users
and new comers to free software. What they need most is information
about who is the geographically closest contact for all their free
software needs -- free software suppliers, service and support
consultants etc. THAT should be our priority.

Am I the only one who was so mistaken?

--
Khuzaima A. Lakdawala