[Fsf-press] On Dropping the amendments suggested in the ordinance: Press Release FSF India

gnu@gnu.org.in gnu@gnu.org.in
Sat Mar 26 10:15:37 IST 2005

Free Software Foundation of India

For Immediate Release and Publication

The Free Software  Foundation of India hails the  decision to drop the
Amendments to  the Indian Patents  Act, 1970, with regard  to computer
programs.  We specially  thank the  Left Parties  for  their conscious
effort to get this draconian amendment removed, and all the Members of
Parliament for  avoiding this dangerous pitfall.   The amendment would
have seriously affected the freedom of software users and developers.

Free  Software  freedom has  enabled  us  to  provide localisation  in
Indic-languages,  for a  wide range  of software  applications, widely
extending the reach of computers  to the masses.  Free software is not
just about  development of robust,  secure and sturdy software  but it
addresses the larger issues pertaining  to the society such as digital
divide by increasing free access  to technology.  In a situation where
India is emerging strong in  the field of Information technology, such
a law should  have been disastrous, leading to  monopolisation by mega
corporations leading  to closure of many software  units, leaving many
jobless.

We are very  happy to register our gratitude  for restoring the status
quo, in line  with our international obligations under  TRIPS, and for
giving considerable peace of mind to the computing community.

But unfortunately, we have come  to know that the Indian Patent Office
has  issued   a  few  patents   relating  to  computer   programs,  in
contravention of the provisions of Section 3 of the Patents Act, 1970,
that should be revoked and cancelled. We request that necessary action
and steps may  be taken in this regard to avoid  any issues under such
patents.

Free Software Foundation of India.
http://www.gnu.org.in
gnu@gnu.org.in