[Fsf-india] From free beer to free speech?

Arun M arun@freedevelopers.net
Sat, 13 Apr 2002 14:57:56 +0530

> But I still stand by certain points. One thing is really bothering me: Can
> someone please explain to me how to sell (not literally) FS to my mother
> (and other such users) using the free speech argument? And how for them,
> free speech will be more important than free beer? This is not a challenge
> or anything, it is something I really have been thinking about and would
> appreciate the help of the vetrans in this regard.

Hi  Varun,

    3-4 months back there was a mail exchange on "Linux" and Free Software
advocacy involving some important personalities in Free Software. Below is
what I learned from that discussion.

When your mother comes to you and asks, how to send a mail in "Linux", it may
not be good to start explaining her what is GNU and why the system should be
called "GNU/Linux". It wont provide the result we want. First help her to set
up a mail client and solve her immediate problem. After that tell her what
GNU is, why GNU, etc. Make her feel she is part of the Community.

Same thing in the case of new computer users.

i am not able to go through all the mails, but it is very glad to see that
discussions becoming healthier.

Regards,
Arun.