[FSF India] Re: c++ refactoring tool ???

Richard Stallman rms@gnu.org
Mon, 17 Sep 2001 15:05:46 -0600 (MDT)

	    I want to know whether there is any open source
    project

It looks like you may have fallen prey to a common misunderstanding.
What we do is not open source; it is free software (free as in
freedom).  We have been promoting computer users' freedom for
idealistic reasons since 1984.

"Open source" is the slogan of another group which was formed in 1998
specifically to disagree with or idealism.  See
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html for
more explanation of the difference between the two groups.

So if you're interested in working on free software, we are the right
people to get in touch with.

     on a tool for semi automated refactoring of
    c++ code,

I am not sure what "refactoring" means, so I can't even try to answer
your question.  However, I can tell you that if the GNU Project knows
of such a package, it would be listed in www.gnu.org/directory.

There are other directories on the net, such as www.freshmeat.org.
Most of the software listed on freshmeat is free, but they do
list a few programs which are not free.  So if you find something
there, it is important to check the license carefully to see whether
it is free.

If there is no free software for this job and you're interested
in starting a project, please get back to us.