[FSF India] Shouldn't we give a try, now that there is a space thrown open ?

CK Raju ckra@vsnl.net
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 18:13:42 -0500

On Monday 12 November 2001 23:55, Khuzaima A. Lakdawala wrote:

> Has the IKM entered into some kind of an agreement with Microsoft
> (non-disclosure or some such other evil) or are they doing their work
> using off-the-shelf Microsoft products? In case of the latter, it
> would be better to petition the Government to merge your project with
> the IKM's work, whereby you can get access to their existing stream of

The products are developed here and it would be great if they would part with
the initial studies. But aren't there teams capable of studying the
activities at a local body and then coming out with a design ? I suppose
there are plenty. And through Govt policies and orders, this small group
managed to prevent other players from entering into their arena. All that's
bygone and let bygone be bygone. (The local bodies were prevented from doing
anything concerned with software development.) That was shocking and
extremely disturbing, considering the fact that similar development that
occured at other parts of the world were all initiated by the local bodies
(Brazil, Italy, Argentina).
> funds and also to their human resources which you have pointed out are
> well ahead and probably have all the relevant systems analysis work
> already in place. Besides leveraging their existing expertise, you
> and your team can then gradually nudge the entire mission towards free
> software from within! This would definitely be a better alternative to
> starting a parallel free software project competing for Government

That was exactly the bone of my contention. But the group was so strong that
it was nearly impossible to break into it. And it still continues to be so.
The argument that they put forward was that "Linux had a steep learning curve
and in the long run the maintenance costs for Linux would far overrun the
license costs of Microsoft products" !!!

> funds and I am sure such a proposal would find favour with the
> Government too. Since we have a sympathetic Local Administration
> minister and also an IT Secretary knowledgeable about free software
> (she was, after all, present at FSF-I's inauguration), this seems like
> a very good opportunity for free software to gain a strategic foothold
> in the Government's IT programmes.
I think rather than taking the easy way out in convincing the top brass (we
are human beings first, and as human beings have our own limitations, can be
easily tempted....), it would be more effective to convince the local leaders
and other actors who are the direct beneficiaries and then approach the top.
In that case, people power would definitely run over the money power.  That
is difficult but not impossible.

Do write in with more ideas.
Regards and best wishes,

CK Raju