[Fsf-india] Free software for developing countries

Katim S. Touray dekat@chorus.net
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 00:33:23 -0800

Hi there,

I am writing to inform you that I am working on a Web site, and ultimately a
non-profit organization to promote Free Software in developing countries.  I have
been exchanging e-mails with Richard Stallman about my plans, and he provided me your
e-mail address, along with others, when I asked him for contacts for people in
developing countries, and who might be interested in promoting Free Sofware in
developing countries.

Given the widespread use of Free Software in developing countries, and the tremendous
potential they have to make significant and positive contributions to developing
countries, I thought it is high-time that we have a Web site, and later on a
non-profit organization to act as a clearing house and forum for people to share
ideas, information, and knowledge about the use of Free Software in developing
countries.

It is my hope that the Web site, to be called FSDEV will be online in the next two or
so weeks, so that we can formally launch it in early next year.  Toward this end, I
am appending to this e-mail a copy of the Web site layout, and information about
FSDEV which I sent Richard for his review and comments.  I'd appreciate it if you can
kindly send me your comments to enable me finalize the Web site content before
putting it online.

May I also mention that I would like FSDEV to be as multi-language and international
as possible.  For this reason, I would like help in translating the appended document
when it is ready, so that it can be available in as many languages as is possible.
Please let me know if you would be interested in helping develop the FSDEV Web site,
and in helping translate the document I am appending below.

For your information, I am originally from The Gambia, West Africa, but I presently
live in Madison, Wisconsin, USA.  I have been a long-time user of the Internet (since
about 1991), and have been very keen on maximizing it the benefits of the information
and communications technologies in developing countries.  It is my hope that I will
shortly be able to register a FSDEV as a non-profit organization in The Gambia, and
move there myself to run help run the organization, and engage in other business
activities.

I'll stop here for now, until I hear from you.  Have a great week, and best wishes in
your endeavors.

Sincerely,

Katim S. Touray
dekat@chorus.net

----------------------  Start of draft Web site content and
ayout  ----------------------
WEB SITE LAYOUT

About Us
    see section below
News
     Free software news and information organized by subject area
     Contributed by Web site editors and registered members
Regional News
     Free software news and information from different parts of the world
     Contributed by Web site editors and registered members
Resource Directory
     Free Software resources organized by use (e.g. applications, office suites,
education)
     Will include Web links suggested by users
Startup Clinic
     How to start using Free Software and/or switch from commercial software packages
     Will consist of links to How-To documents and other publications
Software Developers' Corner
     For software developers to learn about, and collaborate on Free Software
projects
Success Stories
     Case studies of uses and applications of Free Software in developing countries
    By invitation contributions from registered users
FSDEV Resources
     Other FSDEV resources (e.g. mailing lists), and contact information

ABOUT US

What is FSDEV?
FSDEV is aimed at providing a forum for the exchange of ideas, information, and
knowledge about the use of Free Software to solve problems, and improve the lives of
people in developing countries.  In the process, FSDEV will also help promote the use
of Free Software, increase access to, and use of computers in developing countries.
Finally, FSDEV will facilitate collaboration between software developers in
developing countries, thereby helping them contribute effectively and significantly
to the growth and development of the Free Software movement around the world.

Objectives
1. Promote the use of Free Software in educational institutions, government agencies,
non-profit organizations, businesses, and by individuals in developing countries
2. Develop Free Software user groups for people in working in different professions
in developing countries
3. Facilitate the exchange of ideas, information, and knowledge about using Free
Software to solve problems in developing countries
4. Increase the number of software developers in developing countries, and increase
their training by providing them Free Software and access to networks of developers
from around the world
5. Enable software developers in developing countries to serve humanity at large by
contributing to the development of Free Software
6. Work with other interest groups, non-profit organizations, businesses, and
government agencies toward mutually-beneficial goals

What is Free Software?
Contrary to what the phrase suggests, Free Software is not necessarily free of
charge.  Although people can sell and buy Free Software freely, the criteria that
determine what is Free Software actually makes no reference to money.  Simply put,
Free Software provides the user with four basic freedoms, namely, the freedom to:

1. run the program for any purpose, whether profit, non-profit, or personal
2. study and change the inner workings of the program to fit his or her needs
3. distribute copies of the program
4. improve the program and release improvements to the public, thereby benefiting the
community of users

As you can imagine, you cannot make much significant headway in customizing a
software package if you do not have access to the original source code.  For this
reason, the freedoms provided under the definition of Free Software imply that the
user is provided the source code of the programs.  It is the sum total of these
freedoms, the proviso that source code be freely available, and the sheer magnitude
of good will that has so richly rewarded humanity with the present, and ever growing
wealth of Free Software tools.

The Free Software movement was started in 1983 Richard Stallman who also founded the
Free Software Foundation (FSF) as an non-profit organization in to promote the use
and development of Free Software.  In particular, FSF develops and promotes the GNU
operating system and its GNU/Linux variants, and works to increase awareness about
political and ethical issues involved in using software.

Although "Free Software" is sometimes used interchangeably with "Open Source", the
two are distinct, both in theory and practice.  Furthermore, there are various other
type and categories of software licenses besides the traditional licenses from
commercial software developers.  For more information about Free Software and the
philosophy behind it, please visit the Free FSF Web site (http://www.fsf.org).

Who can join FSDEV?
Anyone (organizations, businesses, government agencies, and businesses) who satisfies
one or more of the following can join FSDEV:
1. You are from a developing country
2. You are interested in promoting the use of Free Software in developing countries
and/or by people from developing countries

How can I help?
There are many ways you can help, whether or not you are a software developer, or
computer wizard!  First, register on our site, to enable you post stories and news
items that might be of interest to our visitors.  The quality of this Web site is
mainly determined by the enthusiasm people have for sharing ideas, information, and
knowledge about using Free Software in their countries.  For this reason, you will be
doing everyone a big favor by sharing any news, information, and other resources by
posting articles and stories on the site.

Secondly, you should join one or more of the interest groups listed on this site.
These groups vary from local Linux Users Groups to mailing lists on specific subjects
such as Free Software applications for business, education, office productivity, etc.
By joining these groups you will help the global Free Software movement, and in
return benefit from the experiences and knowledge of people from around the world.
----------------------  End of draft Web site content and