[FSF-India] Anybody doing Free Software Projects in India

Rajkumar S. fsf-india@mail.gnu.org.in
Thu, 2 Aug 2001 21:28:14 +0530 (IST)

On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, [iso-8859-1] Santhosh Narayana wrote:

> I'm a newbie to the list. Doing V Semester, GDIT,
> IIIT-Hyd. In IIIT-Hyd, 70% of programming is in Linux.

Hello!!

> Aryabhatta Linux, an ambitious project reg the same was started by
> some members of ilughyd.

We have started in Trivandrum a similar project to enable non trivial
computation in local languages called project Indigo.
(www.inapp.com/tuxila). We stated off on Jan and I was working on
rendering Malayalam using Pango. Devanagiri and Tamil already has
modules to take care of this.

Our final aim is to have a distribution of GNU system where it is
possible to use Local languages, like the German SuSe. I had a chance
to talk to Ms Amba Kulkarni of IIIT-Hyd about this and she was
interested in doing some localization for Star Office. May be you
should talk to her if you are interested.

CDAC was also interested in getting Mozilla localized. As of our own
progress we were going pretty nicely but most of the core team members
were involved in the Inauguration of FSF India and thus the project
suffered. We are starting from where we left off now. Hope fully you
can expect some result from us soon

raj