[Fsf-friends] A project for Inclusive Education of the Disabled recommends proprietary software

Krishnakant krmane at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 18:47:33 IST 2009

hello,On Tue, 2009-06-30 at 18:13 +0530, Vimal Joseph wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Here is a link to the Centrally Sponsored Scheme (CSS) of ‘Inclusive
> Education of the Disabled at Secondary Stage (IEDSS)’
>
> http://education.nic.in/secedu/sec_iedc.asp
>
> This scheme is approved by the cabinet committee on september 2008
> http://pib.nic.in/release/rel_print_page.asp?relid=42926
>
> The document says:
>         The use of ICT: Access to technology is especially relevant for
>         the disabled as it increases their access to a vast amount of
>         information not otherwise available. Computers provided to
>         students in secondary schools will also be made accessible to
>         those with disabilities. The scheme will provide for the
>         purchase of appropriate technology by way of special software
>         such as Screen Reading software like JAWS, SAFA, etc. for the
>         visually impaired and speech recognition software for the
>         hearing impaired to develop computer vocabulary for the hearing
>         impaired and modified hardware like adapted keyboards. (Sr. No.
>         I.13 of Appendix-I).
>
> The scheme will provide the money to purchase proprietary software like
> JAWS. They have mentioned about SAFA also. It is a screen reading
> software for windows available at safa.sf.net. But its licence is not
> clear and seems to be a dead project. Last commit to the code repository
> was on 2004. No school will bother about the "etc.." part. So the
> obvious choice of software under this scheme will be JAWS.

That's right.  With the given experience of the technologies and the
"under currents " in that context, I know how this must have happened.
I think we must certainly have a dialog with the government's relevent
departments and make them understand this.
At the technical side we have an edge because jaws or the likes don't
support openoffice and the respective standards.  I know CBSE has
openoffice and many other states also include it in official
documentation.
This is just an example and there are more I will furnish when needed.
> As part of the Insight project, we are using GNU/Linux with orca screen
> reader for the last 2 years and it works very well.

Yes, Infact every time I held the workshop, every time I recommended
changes to the setup as a lead resource person, it was not just welcomed
but also implemented and so far there is no trouble there.

> It is really a waste of money if the schools are going to purchase JAWS.
> If they use Free Software, the money they have to purchase JAWS can be
> used for the development of orca or even used for purchasing more
> computers.

Yes, we must start explaining this to the government.  By the way if
windows is the real issue then we have free screen readers under gpl in
windows as well.
Non Visual Desktop Access (NVDA) is the best and and the most rappidly
developed screen reader for windows which is also free.

> This is definitely an project we should get involved.

We *must*
I am ready to provide all my expertese on this.

happy hacking.
Krishnakant.