[Fsf-friends] Comrades’ new-found love with IT

haynes davis haynesdavis at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 13:43:03 IST 2009

> But
> >>

> >> Haynes,
> >>
> >> The it can be a non-cpim position too. But Branding everything  other
> >> than only -cpim position to Anti-CPIM  position will not help for a
> >> movement.
> >
> > right now non-cpim is a big vacuum regarding free software as far as
> > political and government support is considered. Why our struggle does not
> > seem to be productive in the other states and the central government?
> >

> Free Software movement is a Social Movement.  If some states realised
> the arguments raised by a movement it is the victory of the Movement.
>

> You and me are part of that.  You can Find various examples of Free
> Software & Open standards adoption in Central Govt Policies, 11th 5
> year Plan, Knowledge Commission Report etc.  On non-left ruled states,
> Tamil Nadu did some positive steps on Free Software adoption due to
> ELCOTs intervention. You can find similar examples from Other states.
>
> I did a study about Free Software in Public Enterprises of Kerala for
> SPACE  in 2005 October & November (Before Left Govt coming to power) .
> It clearly shows more than 95% of successful e-governance projects are
> on Free Software Platform . Most of them were not political decision
> and silent adoption by the developers (Report is available at
> http://space-kerala.org/downloads/foss.pdf )
>
> And Left's adoption of Free Software Policy in Kerala is also a
> logical follow up of various actions & discussions initiated by Free
> Software Activists. Even the decision to adopt Free Software in
> IT at School was decided in an SCERT meeting (with the support of 85% of
> teachers) much before  2006 elections. But the govt came after
> election got the political advantage of this decision. and we are very
> happy about that because they are also helping FS movement by adopting
> new policies .
>
> But when people are pushing Bush's binary logic of "Either you are
> with us or You are against us" (only-cpim positions and branding
> everything else as Anti-CPIM) we have to remind history.

But how did these 'some states' realise the arguments raised by the
movement..... does not the other social movement's contribution count...why
do free software has many takers in kerala? i think one simple reason is
there are many who has seen computers and are able to use them. Another
reason is people have heard of freedom and the need for it and have
experienced it. Does any one think these happened after setting up  internet
cafes for providing free knowledge to the people of kerala?  or is it only
due to the awareness campaign of our's? who are these 85% of teachers? what
is KSTA ....what is cpim.. why do they want to support free software....
isnt there anything else than some of the speculations which were expressed
in this list?
 do you think the government of 2006 was result of a sudden growth from
nowhere? why are you stating that it was only a case of political advantage?
this is what i feel the anti-cpim factor in you. cpim is the only political
party that has recognised the need and  extended the official support to
free software..still you are accusing cpim of taking political advantage. i
have only voiced my concerns about antagonizing the people who are with us,
and i have tried to point out the personal anti-cpim position of some people
getting reflected in their mails which will do harm to the movement. any way
i think binary is better than your unary of 'only due to free software
activism'.

Haynes.