[Fsf-friends] Item-9 in Open Source Definition

Mani A a.mani.cms at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 20:13:17 IST 2008

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 8:03 AM, Raj Mathur <raju at linux-delhi.org> wrote:
>> There are plenty of known cases in proprietary software for
>> elections, hedge funds and ... Desktops/servers : )
>
> So... if Diebold had used GNU and Linux on their controversial ballot
> machines would we have been discussing the connection between organised
> crime and free software?

 Yes. At the testing and usage level, it is easier to deal with open
code. You are saying that this does not matter. Open or closed source,
there is plenty of incentive for crime. But it is harder to commit
crimes using free software. Diebold was hit hard, primarily because
their code leaked.

As far as 'special contracts' originating from 'Defence agencies' are concerned.
1. They do not believe in 'public notifications'
2. Have highly restrictive NDAs
... are generally difficult to prove in an impersonal way !

Best

A. Mani

--
A. Mani