[Fsf-friends] Microsoft to set up university in (Bangalore)city

Linux Lingam linuxlingam@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Tue Jul 17 02:37:51 IST 2007

have been reading with interest everyon'es response on the FSF mailing
list on how to tackle the microsoft university challenge:

here's my take

a) welcome microsoft to education, and let them spend their resources
and energies into building what could be a showcase of education
worldwide.

b) lobby very very hard for a mandate that *all* education at
university-level across india must be:

1) platform-neutral for IT-education.

2) conducted using muft and mukt syllabus and courses.
am sure nagarjuna can provide more details regarding point 2), right? :-)

3) allow for multiple-industry-players to education interaction.

4) recommend to fsf-friends worldwide to lobby very hard with their
respective govts to adopt the above points, so we also have precedents
to follow and finetune.

5) and while the above things take their slow, dragged-feet time, and
assuming the university launches with overwhelming applications for
enrolment (i hope so), work hard to contact students and parents at an
individual level, and ask them to lobby from inside to balance their
education.

6) lobby with other education institutions in india, to set up the
example "to become the change you want to see in the world". hey!
we've got thousands of colleges and universities across india. if over
time enough create a juggernaut of mukt education, i hope parents and
students feel rather silly to pay for education that will probably
give them shop-talk.

personally, i have started to believe real-education in india is
possible, unlike any other in the world, if we just wake up and
remember who we are. but that's another story.

you see, education is always a two-way process. the educator gets
further educated in sharing knowledge with students.

time for some education for microsoft as well.
why do you think they're setting up the university, eh?

:-)
niyam