[Fsf-friends] Re: Vista DRM Cracked on Launch Day

Vihan Pandey vihanpandey@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Thu Feb 1 13:40:43 IST 2007

> > A ReactOS developer and first year student of bachelor's degree in
> > software engineering Alex Ionescu [1] from Canada has blogged about
> > a way to bypass the PMP (Protected Media Path), a DRM technique
> > used in Windows Vista. Read the blog here [2]
>
> I'm not convinced that putting Winduhs down is the right way to go
> about promoting freedom and/or free software.  What does the list
> think?

i agree.

Instead of harping on Winduhs' weaknesses, maybe we should be talking
> about how it takes freedom away and entraps users.

agreed.

In fact i did some reading on the guy Alex Ionescu, he started out with DOS
4.0(majored in Hex editing) later adopted the windoze family and saw *nix's
in between. Based on his history, he was and is majorly into win32 kernel
stuff.

Another angle on the same is that reverse engineering windoze is against the
law(as one has signed the EULA during the install) and could probably land
the person concerned up in jail. Should we be breaking the law even if it is
for exposing cracks in an already broken system? Probably not, to quote RMS
on the same ``breaking an agreement even for preventing a bad thing is NOT
good".

Anyway there are enough high priority GNU and other Free Software projects
out there.
Personally i would NEVER want to go on a windoze box EVER. Even if it were
just for idle curiosities.

Regards,

- vihan