[Fsf-friends] Virtual Classrooms build using open-source/free software

Tinku Sampath tinkusam@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Wed Oct 11 20:15:30 IST 2006

On 10/11/06, sandeep Kumar <blackray at indiainfo.com> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Have any of you experimented (or know of any academic institute that did)
> with virtual classroom implementation using open-source and/or free
> softwares? How far tools like gnome-meeting, vnc, skype kind of solutions
> can be integrated to provide intra (department and university) and inter
> university virtual classrooms - intra-department on 100Mbps LAN,
> intra-university on optical fibre network and inter-university on dedicated
> lines (2Mbps leased/ 512Kbps or 256 Kbps broadband).

Very nice suggestion Sandeep. Most of our colelges/university has
infrastructure to implement ur suggestion. I also discussed such a
possibility with my teachers during my PG academic days. But they were
reluctant to act for its realization.

Ekiga (formerly Gnomemeeting) is really a nice and powerful tool for video
conference. I think Venezuelan Govt. is using this tool heavily to
communicate with the project coordinators of their National Education
Programme. There can be other wide application of Ekiga happening around
this world. And VNC could be useful for teachers to teach the students how
to do a particular thing with their system. Teachers could monitor the
students activities during the lab hours and could support those who are
struggling with their work properly more efficiently.

Other than at university/department end, internet connectivity may not be

--
Tinku Sampath