[Fsf-friends] [Fwd: [Ilugc] [OT] GNU/Linux Vidyashram]

Ramanraj K ramanraj@vsnl.com
Thu Dec 16 22:56:17 IST 2004

Shakthi Kannan, ILUGC,  has proposed to start GNU/Linux Vidyashram at
Chennai, to organize/provide free lectures on GNU/Linux.
Feedback/contribution from the outcome of the lecture could also be
contributing to sourceforge projects or GNU/Linux projects, in general.
-Ramanraj.

-------- Forwarded Original Message --------
Subject: [Ilugc] [OT] GNU/Linux Vidyashram
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 23:38:53 -0800 (PST)
From: Shakthi Kannan <cyborg4k@yahoo.com>
To: ilugc@ae.iitm.ac.in

Greetings!

This is a proposal to form the GNU/Linux Educational
Society, or call it, "GNU/Linux Vidyashram".

The aim is to organize/provide free lectures (atleast
once a fortnight, with lectures repeated if needed).
Due to rapid developments in GNU/Linux it is essential
that we meet often and share/discuss our knowledge.
Saturday/Sunday afternoon is good. We can start
different lecture series for different time periods
like, 2-weeks, 1-month, 2-months etc.

Leaving commercial training institutes apart (which
are more industry-oriented, like system and network
administration), the objective of GNU/Linux Vidyashram
is to constantly provide free-training to GNU/Linux
enthusiasts. I believe the commerical institutes don't
teach kernel programming, application development etc.
The free-teaching can also be useful for students who
are interested in doing projects.

I am on the lookout for lecture halls/institutions who
can provide the facilites at a minimal cost (for free
would be great!). Having a projector will help as one
can see and learn from the observation, rather than
deal with monotonous classroom-board teaching. I
remember, some of the IIT-M Electrical Engineering
Deparment students asking for some sessions like
these. Maybe we can organize the same with them? The
lectures _must_ be open to the public though.

I would like to initiate the above under ilugc-GNU
projects. We need to first cover shell scripting
before we can go into kernel programming. I would like
to volunteer for:

- BASH shell scripting
- KDevelop/Qt designer
- device driver programming
- Linux assembly

Similarily, if more people are interested we can start
sessions for perl/python/gtk/qt/c++/java/php/ etc. on
GNU/Linux etc.

Your thoughts?

Regards,

K Shakthi

=====
K Shakthi
Specsoft (Hexaware Technologies), ASIC Design Center
http://www.geocities.com/shakthimaan