[Fsf-friends] Project Gutenberg (revisiting issue)

Frederick Noronha (FN) fred@bytesforall.org
Mon Apr 12 01:44:00 IST 2004

A hoax for a good cause... hope this drew some more attention to Project
Gutenberg. Imran, copyright-expired books is one category. It's also
possible to put up there books who's authors have no objection to sharing.
I got two such books put up in the past few months. One was a book on
wildlife experences in Goa, and the other, a critique of journalism in
this part of India written collaboratively by 21 journalists.

I do wish too that many more India-related books would be up on Project
Gutenberg. I read recently of a contract given to IIIT-Hyderabad for
digitising books on "numerous topics". They were contracted by the
Universal Digital Library (UDL) and claim good progress. But I'm not sure
what purpose these digitised books would be deployed for.

Free software ideals should go beyond software... and into various other
fields. FN