[Fsf-friends] No warranty

Chandrashekhar Mullaparthi chandrashekhar.mullaparthi@t-mobile.co.uk
Tue Dec 23 11:54:58 IST 2003

On 23/12/03 11:41 am, "Annamalai Gurusami"
<annamalai.gurusami@email.masconit.com> wrote:

> Chandrashekhar Mullaparthi <chandrashekhar.mullaparthi@t-mobile.co.uk> writes:
>
>> This is what I find surprising about commercial software. All
>> hardware comes with a warranty which covers manufacturing defects
>> for a certain period of time. And invariably a replacement is
>> offered if a certain unit turns out to be defective. And in cases of
>> design defects which are a health hazard to customers, the product
>> is recalled and the customers possibly refunded.
>
> Well, when you purchase a book, what kind of warranty do you get?  Same
> with a software too!  :-D

Well, I dont agree with the analogy. A book is for learning about something.
Usually, software is a tool/utility.

Like Ramanraj said in a message previously, if a book is crap, the author
wont sell anymore and that is the end of his/her career as an author. The
same cant be said of big corporations which make crap commercial software.

Chandru