[Fsf-friends] Net across borders

Ramanraj K ramanraj@md4.vsnl.net.in
Sat Dec 20 16:53:50 IST 2003

>Rakesh Ambati wrote:
>raman, indeed rms is the source of all life  and
>energy of all of us(not for OSS folks,i guess ;-p ).

arky, really, this is what the OSS folks have to say about free software
(osi-:)

"The Open Source Initiative is  a marketing program for free software.
It's a  pitch for  "free software" on  solid pragmatic  grounds rather .."

The Open Source Case for Hackers argues:

"Mainstream corporate  CEOs and CTOs  will never buy  "free software."
But if we take the very  same tradition, the same people, and the same
free-software licenses and  change the label to "open  source" -  that,
they'll buy"

We can take their superficial attitude towards Free Software with a
pinch of salt.  More was discussed about the OSI forking in the November
postings to fsf-friends.

>I was reading about this two chaps in LUG of
>Iraq,those guys need support,encouragement from all of
>us.I wish rms give his blessing too.
>
>http://www.linuxjournal.com//article.php?sid=7320

That was interesting.  I remember having seen a Pakistan linux user
group site www.linuxpakistan.net that used the expression "Powered by
Free Software", along with the gnu logo, in their web site so naturally
and appropriately, that it surprised me.  Many people here have great
difficulties and reservations in using the expression Free Software,
that ought to change.  While we are fencing our border at the cost of
11,000 crores, we are also sending out a delegation of lawyers to
Pakistan on a good-will mission.  I am a great fan of AR Rahman, and in
his Vande Mataram album, there is this song:
<quote>
What are you waiting for?
Another day?
Another time?
Some day we have find a new way to peace ...
</quote>
that was sung by the great Pakistani singer of all times: Nusrat Fateh
Ali Khan, to the tune of "porale ponnu thayee.." that was already a good
hit in a Tamil Movie.  I thought that music connected people well.  Free
Software is doing the same.  If States can find the real links that
connect people in heart and soul, we may save a lot of resources for
more constructive purposes.  Free Software is connecting people in a
real, purposeful and wholesome way, bringing in spectacular changes.