[Fsf-friends] The basic problems

sooraj sooraj" <soorajdathan@rediffmail.com
13 Sep 2002 11:24:00 -0000

The main reason for the growth of free s/w in india may be the
large amount of advertisement and support for proprietery s/ given
by local Computer centers and educational institutions. Away from
big cities, (I don't know what are the current circumstances
outside kerala), no computer institute tries to teach free s/w.
Instead they give large amount of advertisement for Office,Vb, VC,
ASP, Oracle etc.
The reason is that the institutes wants profit and they think that
they can get a high profit only through teaching MS products. They
make general public feel that A computer means windows (What a
funny idea isn't it?) Even i have some experience with some
employees in some computerised environment unknowing about free
s/w at all.
There is the deficiency of good faculties as well. Even those
people running Computer centeres (We can call them principals or
centre heads of an eucational institution) unawre of the fact that
there are free s/w available instead of what s/w they use.
Also anybody has a comment about teaching programming in high
school classes before the student understands what is a computer,
what is word processing, what is a spread sheet? what is internet
etc..
Our educational policy is to first teach programming and may of
our schools are without proper facilities.. The student who sees
the computer for the first time in his life starts learning
programming in c++ and he is really confused (that was the case
with me when i started programming some years back).. So i think
its appropriate to teach some fundamentals and some lab sessions
at least for 2-3 months.. Any opinion about it.. then plz write to
me
thank U