[Fsf-friends] Re: How to make Motorola SM56 internal modem work ?

Dileep M. Kumar dileep@symonds.net
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 10:16:31 +0530

On Sun, Dec 08, 2002 at 10:24:08AM +0530, N S Srikanth wrote:

>>>I am trying  to install GNU/Linux on some of  my friends' PC's here
>>>at Trivandrum. The  trouble is that all of  them have only internal
>>>modems. They would very much like to try Any distro.

Like non-free  software there are  also non-free hardware  which makes
people, not able to write drivers for such devices.  Just like we don't
use non-free s/w, we should keep away from buying such devices.

I know the cost aspect of internal and external modem :-(

There  are  some  other  internal  modems which  are  supported  under
GNU/Linux systems.  So while purchasing we  have to ensure  that it is
supported by our OS. I used to tell my vendor that I will should get a
replacement if the particular device is not compatible with my OS.

Regards
--
 .''`.     Dileep M. Kumar <dileep@kumarayil.net>
: :'  :    http://www.kumarayil.net